The fundamentals behind detoxing are simple: to stop the body from overloading on toxins, alcohol, caffeine and tobacco to name a few, with which most of us abuse daily. This can be easily be done at home, thats if you have the willpower.
Everybody who tries it feels energised and cleansed afterwards. It usually involves a twenty-four hours fast, nothing but water-followed by some 2 weeks or so of nothing but fruit juices, herbal teas and fruits and vegetables. Cleaner eyes, cleaner livers and much increased energy are the usual benefits.
Body detoxification is both a short-term and long-term process. In the short term, we periodically implement a healthy detox diet or juice fast to help flush toxins that have accumulated in the body. Long term, we make changes in our daily habits and lifestyle. Eliminate coffee, get more exercise, do deep breathing exercises in the morning, eat more vegetables and fresh fruit. There are many healthy ways to detox your body. All of them should include these three essential components:
Give your digestive system a break.
Some of the toxins our body needs to detox come from the by-products of our digestive process. Indigestion from overeating or a gastro-intestinal condition can cause bloating and an overabundance of toxic waste in our intestines, colon, kidneys, liver, skin, and blood.
The kidneys, colon, lungs, and skin are organs primarily involved with elimination. Each of these organ systems can be gently stimulated and supported before, during and after a body detox program in the following ways:
• Kidneys: drink pure water, 3 – 4 quarts a day. If you're urinating every hour, you know you're hydrating and getting a gentle kidney cleanse.
• Liver: drink the juice of 1/2 lemon in hot water every morning upon rising.
• Colon: get your bowels moving at least a little every day. A colonic or water enema can help get you started. If you need to take an herbal laxative, we suggest cascara sagrada, Five Seed Teapills, Ma Zi Ren Teapills, Peach Kernel Teapills, or Rhubarb Teapills. Do not take senna or over the counter laxatives.
• Lungs: cleanse your lungs with deep breathing exercises, morning and night. Protect your lungs from toxic fumes or cleaning products by wearing a protective mask.
• Skin: bathe daily, refrain from heavy lotions and dry brush your skin regularly.
Detox your diet.
Fast food, junk food, sugary drinks and snacks, artificially sweetened, processed foods, fried foods and refined flours have to go (or be greatly reduced). Nourish your body with fresh fruits and vegetables and high quality super foods like Spirulina and chlorella.
Making these dietary changes and sustaining them over time will reduce future need of detox cleansing and add years to your life!
Enjoy your detox.
We see no point in eating bad food. It gives no pleasure, no proper nutrition and makes you overweight as well as unhappy. Real, proper food lies at the heart of ones’s domestic and social life. The bottom line is, in order to look good and look younger you need to change your diet and lifestyle.
We closely follow Ella Woodward in her Deliciously Ella's cooking book. Her story has been inspirational- going from sickness to health through good honest food. The recipes are delicious as well as nutritious.
Amelia Freer is another food role model of ours. She has good nutritional education, which helps her to develop recipes that are a joy to make. We recommend following them on Facebook or Instagram for new inspirations.